Saturday, April 9, 2011

You know how people are always like (EDITED!)

"If Barbie were a real person her measurements wouldn't even be physically possible HOW CAN WE GIVE OUR CHILDREN THIS DEMONIC EATING-DISORDER CAUSING TOY!"

Okay well first of all Barbies have had smaller boobs and bigger waists since when I was probably 6 or 7 - so about ten years ago. Don't you think it's a little out of place to be criticizing something that hasn't been in  circulation for over a decade?!!? Like oh why don't we boycott disney because the Dumbo movie from like the 1930s has racist crows in it?

Furthermore, when I was a little nugget playing with barbies, I wasn't obsessed with my body image! I was like in second fucking grade! My diet in second grade consisted of candy, cookies, trix, cocoa puffs, oreos, chips, dunkaroos, gushers, and occasionally a little bit of dinner (usually smothered in ketchup). What kind of second grader is like "Ooh actually no, I only want one scoop of ice cream - trying to make myself look like the Pre-2001 Barbie LOL!"

I mean, if anything, little second grade girls just want boobies (that's why putting water balloons in our shirts was so fun, even if they popped while you were on the couch.....lol). But that's a case of wanting to grow up, not crippling insecurity.

And by the time girls actually DO start caring about their bodies, it's way past barbie playing stage, when they're left just in the corners of their memory as they try to find a target to blame their lack of confidence on.

Shut up about Barbie already! Why don't people talk about the absolutely RIDICULOUS proportions of Bratz dolls?! Hello?! Their heads weigh as much/more than the total weight of the rest of the body. Their lips take up about a third of their face, their waists are maybe a quarter of the width of their heads, and also THEY DON'T HAVE FEET.

What about Trolls Dolls?! Those buggers with the runaway colorful hair

and, WAIT A MINUTE, WHAT ARE THOSE GEMS DOING ON THEIR BELLIES?

CONVINCING PRETEEN GIRLS TO GET THEIR BELLIES PIERCED, THAT'S WHAT!!!!

Which trolls were always the highest in demand? Those with stomach gems of course - the more unique, the better.

So to all you useless Barbie-Blamers, please go away already. Your argument has been made like umpteen times, and do you really think 15 and 16 year old girls are trying to look like their childhood toy? No - they're trying to look like a PERSON.

S'laters ladies & gents!!


EDIT:::::::::::::::::


Hi, back after like ten hours or so. I didn't want to post twice in a day and this was short anyway so. Anyway I saw a commercial for this prom movie coming out at the end of the month and it's like WHO ARE YOU GOING WITH and it's got like a bunch of flawless teenagers flirting with flawless teenagers of the opposite sex. And then a "geek" who is actually far FAR FAR from what the ugly geeks at your school ACTUALLY look like is all "oh woe is me no one loves me" and you know by the end of the movie he'll end up dancing with like the most popular girl in the school.

Anyway, that's really great, MOVIE! Make it SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE to go to prom with no date! Whatever I don't even care anymore because I'm watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding and it's really funny.

But you get what I'm saying here.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you said that about the movie prom it has been bothering me so much everything time I see the commercial!!!

    ReplyDelete